- Product name: Soulistic Chicken dinner in Gelee pate and Shreds and Soulistic Chicken and Turker Dinner in Gelee pate and shreds
- Price: $14.32 for a case of 8
- Container size: 5.5 oz
- Best Place to Buy: Amazon for both Chicken and Chicken and Turkey
- My Rating: 8.5 (chicken and turkey) and 9 out of 10 (chicken)
I have been purchasing Soulistic Cat food for a few months now and Shadow is absolutely in love with it, mainly, the Chicken Dinner in Gelee Pate and Shreds (fancy name for jelly) and Chicken and Turkey Dinner in Gelee Pate and Shreds. These two are my favorites and are similar, so I’ll be looking at these today.
In my opinion, I think this is one of the best high protein cat food choices on the market today. Although it doesn’t necessarily say “holistic,” it is considered so in my book, given the nature of the product. Soulistic truly stands out in that their Pate and Shreds choices don’t have any added vegetables or fruits, unlike many competitors. They are certainly one of the top grain free cat food brands out there, and many of their choices are gluten free as well. On top of that, Soulistic claims their cans are BPA free, as well as Non- GMO. A big claim, but a believable one.
This is TRULY hard to find (believe me, I have searched and searched.) There are some things I do not like about Soulistic and it’s not perfect, but it’s better than a lot of choices out there.
Soulistic uses very limited ingredients, which I appreciate. Also, NO Sodium Selenite, which is even found in many other Holistic cat foods. I counted 24 ingredients in the Chicken and 27 in the Chicken and Turkey.
Chicken Dinner Overview
- Only one poultry source
- No grains
- Water is unfortunately the first ingredient (high moisture indication)
- No fish product present
- No gravy
Calorie and Carbohydrates Content:
- 166 kcal in a 5.5 oz can.
- Low overall Carbs. 1.07% in the As Fed Percentage (your cat’s meals throughout the day) and 3.29% in the ME profile.
- Crude Protein (minimum): 8.0%. In the complete nutritional information you can see the maximum is 9.55%. I’d like this to be a little higher still but the protein quality is there.
- Crude Fat (min): 2.5%. Good fat content.
- Crude Fiber (max): 0.5%
- Moisture (max): 87.0% Ouch. This is much higher than I’d like and hurts the overall product. I can give them a pass on this since the rest of the product is in good shape.
This is a great overall flavor for your cat. The quality is certainly there, and I highly recommend this flavor if you’re looking for a fish- free food if your cat is allergic, or if you need a lot of moisture in your cat’s food (urinary tract infection.) It’s perfect for all cats and a great entry level holistic food if you don’t want to search too hard.
I’m making it easy for you actually. Just click here to buy a pack of 8!
Chicken and Turkey Dinner Overview
- Two poultry sources to mix things up
- Fish product IS present as the third ingredient.
- Water is again the first ingredient
- No grains
- No gravy!
Calorie and Carbohydrate Content:
- 107 kcal in a 5.5 oz can. Fewer calories than regular chicken. This is important to keep an eye on if your cat is trying to lose weight.
- Slightly higher carbs at 1.07% in the As Fed Percentage and 5.44% in the ME profile
- Crude Protein (min): 8.0%
- Crude Fat (min): 2.5%
- Crude Fiber (max): 0.5%
- Moisture (max) 87.0% Ouch again! Less moisture please!
That analysis is pretty much identical to the Chicken Dinner. Mix up your cat’s diet and grab an 8 pack here!
My Overall thoughts
I so wish there was a little less moisture content in both of these. I try to reach 80% and below but both of these are higher than 80%. This is disappointing but I’ll take it over almost any other negatives. If your cat needs more moisture content in their diet, then this definitely is for you!
Despite these few negatives, Soulistic still offers great holistic canned food at an excellent price point. The more we, the consumers, voice with our wallets that holistic food is the best choice for cats, the more quality product we will receive.